Monday, August 2, 2010

Why do I see a bunch of wealthy Christians?

I've been to a lot of church services in my day, and one of the things I remember a preacher saying is if Jesus says something twice, it's way important, and if he said "he who has ears to hear, let him hear" or something to that effect then it's also very important. Today I'm writing about something that Jesus not only said twice, but said "he who has ears to hear, let him hear" about.

Open up yer Bibles and read Luke 14:26-35. Verse 33 is my favorite: "So therefore, no one of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions." (NASB) Verse 35 is the "he who has ears." Now read Luke 18:18-25. This is the story of the Rich Young Ruler, which most people who grew up going to Sunday School know, but almost nobody seems to actually care about. Notice verse 22: "And when Jesus heard this, He said to him, "One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess, and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." The Rich Young Ruler didn't like this, and became very sad.

Jesus' words seem very clear cut to me here. He says twice, in fairly plain language, that in order to be a follower of Christ one needs to sell all off their possessions. He doesn't say "Thou shalt give a little bit to charity when thy budget allows it" or "thou shalt volunteer at a soup kitchen no less than twice a year." He says you must give up all of your possessions and serve God. Now I know a lot of Christians who are by no means rich, but they're certainly not the widow giving all she had. (Luke 21:1-4)

So what gives? Why do Christians still have stuff? Before anyone angrily points out Luke 18:26-27, saying I pulled my verses out of context and ignored these ones, sure, things impossible with men are possible with God. But I don't think that this is just a get out of jail free card, allowing you to keep all your possessions because anything is possible with God. Jesus said in plain language that you were supposed to sell all your stuff and give your money to the poor. He said it twice. I don't think this one verse negates the numerous times poverty is extolled as a virtue in the Bible.

2 comments:

martin said...

Don't they (rich televangelists) usually justify their wealth by saying that without their money the message of god won't reach as many people?

Raw Suede said...

Yeah something like that. If they didn't drive a Jag then people would be left unsaved.