Friday, July 30, 2010

Nature, man


Hey people. I know my massive reader base is probably disappointed that I haven't posted in over a week, but I was in the mountains with my brother for 5 of those days and I was feeling lazy for the others.

While I was in the mountains I was again and again awed by the incredible beauty of nature. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is mind blowingly epic and beautiful, hands down the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Nature is really some awesome stuff.

Lots of Christians claim that seeing all the splendor and grandeur of a mountain range is evidence that God exists. What? Does a person who's lived their whole life as an atheist and never thought much about God think that when they look on a mountain range? Do I, a recent convert to the infidel camp, think that? No. It's ridiculous. This is 2010, there are very good scientific explanations for the vast majority of natural phenomena. Resorting to "God did it" is intellectually lazy, and saying "God did it for us" (This seems to be the general Christian viewpoint) is unbelievably arrogant. Mountains being beautiful is in no way evidence for God's existence. You see something awesome, you think "man this is awesome", and because you already believe in God you mentally connect the dots.

Also, I find it interesting that Christians never cite a forest fire destroying literally millions of lives as evidence of God's awesome loving existence. You never hear a Christian say "Man, check out those coyotes devouring that newborn deer. God must exist," or "Hey, that thunderstorm blew these baby birds out of the nest, and now their tiny bodies are all mangled. Praise the Lord!"

No comments: